Struggles of a Teacher Person

Struggles of a Teacher Person
GEORGIA ROCKS! A road I drive on to work, lucky me!

Sunday, November 11, 2007

State Cross-Country Meet



Well, the old team got itself together to go to the state meet in Carrolton this weekend and a good time was had by all. Additionally, some of the more astute members of the team realized how FO' REALZ cross-country running can be. We saw some awesome finished among the girls' AA, boys' A, girls' A, and boys' AAAAA. Wow!


I had never witnessed anything like this. Snoopy has taken teams before, but wow, this was something really special. People eat, sleep, and breathe cross-country at some places. We have students who do it for a season and see it as a way to keep in shape for other sports. I think we may have several converts to the FO' REALZ group. Not many, because some of the kids just don't get out that much and were amazed by the Atlanta skyline. Don't get me wrong, the Atlanta skyline is fantastic, but I think you know what I mean. Regardless (or irregardless as Snoopy is fond of saying {BTW, she knows it's wrong}), there will be a change for the better in the cross-country team, I predict.


As far as what happened, we left noonish on Friday. Snoopy drove the "short bus" through rush hour traffic magnificiently and got us to Villa Rica at about 5 o'clock. We crashed at the big Super 8 Motel, which was very nice. Thanks to the tip from Snoopy's new best friend coach, we found this little jewel of a place.


There were several restaurants around the motel, so the kids got to eat where they wanted. Snoopy wanted Taco Bell, so I ate KFC which was located in the same restaurant. We had a student who got--and I'm not making this up--5 bean burritos and 5 tacos (Snoopy & I talked him down from 10 bean burritos.). I pity the fool who was his roommate. Actually there were 3 fools. Even the girls said everywhere this little dude went, a smelly odor followed. Well, my choice of fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, cole slaw, and biscuit proved a winning one. That is always a good choice for me.


On Saturday, we got up, had a leisurely breakfast and then proceeded to the site. It was cool with a brisk wind on Saturday morning that made for a chilly situation. The course was difficult for our kids because of all the hills. We just don't have that many where we are.


The girls finished 19 of 22 and the boys 23 of 29 in the state. It was an excellent experience for all of us. Though we all were quiet and totally exhausted upon our return Saturday night around 8:30, we had a fantastic time.


I hope we re-live this experience next year with better results!

No comments: