Okay, I like most holidays. But, my FAVORITE is Thanksgiving (followed closely by Voting Day, which isn't really a holiday, but I just get so excited about it--watch Not For Ourselves Alone by Ken Burns & Lynn Novick and you'll vote even when you don't feel like it). I like that there's no pressure to get some awesome gift for each family member. In our family, we go to my diddy's brother's house. All the peeps from that side of the family generally show up. It's really nice. Bring a dish and catch up on all the goings-on from the previous year. No arguing about whether it's pronounced jib-let or gib-let (with a hard g). No tearing down one another. Just existing, eating, and enjoying. If you want to watch football, that's fine. If you want to watch the little kids play outside (which is really where it's at), that's okay. If you want to be super-helpful in the kitchen, that's okay too. Funny, I never find myself doing that.
So, in the spirit of thankfulness, I thought I'd start a list that I'll continue during the week when I need to add to it. . .
THINGS I'M THANKFUL FOR
1. My family
2. My friends
3. A job that I absolutely love
4. Being southern (no offense to those of you from the northern regions, but I was MADE to be southern)
5. Finding (being led to) a new church with an AWESOME pastor
6. People at church who (lovingly) monitor my attendance!
7. The Child
8. Living with my sister so I can hear her raising The Child ("If you don't get up here on this bed to get your clothes on, you can't wear your Spiderman pajamas." "'Pidaman, momma, pidaman, momma!" "Okay, then get up here." That's REALLY what priceless is, Mastercard!)
9. My brother and his wife expecting A BOY!
10. People at work I actually like (I've been watching The Office quite a bit lately.)
11. Thanksgiving week off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
12. A suitable place to live
13. A car that gets me from point A to point B satisfactorily
14. A really awesome friend who meets me to ellipticize twice a week!
15. A really awesome person who cut my hair and morphed into a really good friend!
16. A gym I can work out at and not feel wigged out because my body isn't (even close to being) perfect
17. Parents who cared (and still do care) about me and what I'm doing
18. Really good music
19. My i-pod (I know this is very-near, if not shallow, but it has changed my life. I don't think I could ellipticize without it. Okay, I could, but not as long.)